Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Let's Talk About Santa Claus

When I was a kid I was absolutely petrified of Santa Claus and I know what you're probably thinking - how could you possibly be afraid of one of the most beloved and recognizable characters in the world?

The answer is simple.
Two words: stranger danger.


Mom and Dad warned me (as all parents warn their children) to never trust strangers. They said I should never to go with anyone I didn't know and that I should certainly never accept candy from them. And these rules I understood, but I could never comprehend why on December 25th all these rules flew out the window.

Suddenly, I was expected not only to love a total stranger but to welcome him into my home with open arms because he was giving me gifts.

I remember being a five year old and thinking, "Are they crazy?"

I mean think about it. He's sees you when you're sleeping. He knows when you're awake. That's just a little bit creepy. Sounded like a stalker to me.


So for me Santa Claus was a stranger. I thought to myself so what if he's recognizable by millions of people around the world. Charlie Sheen is recognizable and I definitely wouldn't allow him in my house. You can probably guess that I wasn't one of those children who happily took pictures with Santa at the mall. Nope, I was one of the kids who screamed and kicked and tried to bite Santa. You know the ones having a tantrum and embarrassing their parents. Yep, that was me.

And while my fear of Santa was irrational the most silliest part was I still wanted him to bring me presents - just come to front door first.



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

My Go-To Weekend Look

Hello everyone and welcome to today's post. For me the weekend is my time to run some errands I didn't get to in the week. It&#...

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig