Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Movie Review: Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 1

I knew Jennifer Lawrence was an awesome actor but in Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 1, she's downright extraordinary. If you can guess from the title of this post I went to see the latest Hunger Games movie this weekend and let me tell you it was amazing.



It had everything - explosions, political maneuvers, and a smidge of romance (but not enough to get mushy). I loved it and I can't wait to see Part 2 even though I already know what's going to happen. If you've read the books you know that the story is told from Katniss' point of view. Well, one of the best things about the movie is that you get to see some things that occurred behind the scenes - like the District 13 rescue mission and Plutarch's prep talk with Effie.



The screenwriter did a good job of condensing the book while still staying true to the story. They hit the high points and even added small details like Katniss fidgeting with Peeta's pearl and when she realizes President Snow is just toying with her while she's playing with Buttercup, Prim's cat.


And while the script was good the sets were even better. As soon as District 13's underground quarters came on the screen my first thought was "It's even better than I imagined." Actually, that thought kept popping up in my mind for the rest of the movie. I don't know what it is about the theater, but it just makes everything bigger and better. It completely takes you away and let's you escape for a few hours.

The acting was believable, the storyline never lagged or got boring, and the action was packed. I wouldn't go as far to say it was the best Hunger Games movie ever, but it fits nicely into the saga. I almost cried when Katniss went back to District 12 and saw how destroyed her home was and then again when Peeta and Katniss were finally reunited - all I can say on that is Poor Peeta. Poor Katniss. Poor Gale. Poor everyone. But all in all, I thought they ended Part 1 in a good place. Part 2 should pick up nicely from there (and if you read the book you have a pretty good idea where I'm talking about).


So, on a scale of 1 to 10 - 1 being horrible and 10 being AMAZING - I'd give Mockingjay Part 1 a 10.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

My Go-To Weekend Look

Hello everyone and welcome to today's post. For me the weekend is my time to run some errands I didn't get to in the week. It&#...

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig