Sunday, November 30, 2014

Being Thankful & Surrounded by Family

 


They say the best things in life are free and I can honestly affirm that. Just like every other year, I spent Thanksgiving with my family at my grandparents' house. Mom and I cooked, we ate, and enjoyed some family time. But it was still bittersweet because this was my family's first Thanksgiving without my grandma. 













Dad & Grandpa waiting on dinner
Grandma passed away in January and every holiday seems to be harder than the last without her, but surprisingly this one wasn't so bad. Mom said that she felt like Grandma was watching over us and smiling and I believe she was.
Me & Grandma on a weekend trip
We brought my Uncle Terry home from the nursing home and while he and Mom shed a few tears at first, they dried their eyes and made it through the day. I asked Uncle Terry what he was thankful for and he said, "I'm thankful for my family and the food we ate and that everyone was around me." And I thought to myself isn't that what Thanksgiving really is about? Being thankful for what we have and appreciating the people around us.

I had spent so much time dreading the holiday because I knew it wouldn't be the same without Grandma, but Uncle Terry helped me realize that no matter what happens I should be grateful and appreciate the time I did have with her - and the time I have with the rest of my family.

Dad, Uncle Terry, & Me at the table
I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and just remember being thankful should happen more than once a year. Appreciate what you have every day.

What are you most thankful for?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

My Go-To Weekend Look

Hello everyone and welcome to today's post. For me the weekend is my time to run some errands I didn't get to in the week. It&#...

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig