Tuesday, December 5, 2017

My Top 12 Christmas Songs

It's finally December! Gone away is the blue bird, here to stay is the new bird. And since I've been hearing Christmas music everywhere I decided to write a list of the 20 Christmas songs that always put me in the Christmas spirit.



Enjoy!


1. "The Christmas Song" by Nat King Cole
I don't know if it's the smooth way Nat King Cole sings this song or the violins in the background, but every time I hear this song I think of Christmas. I relax and fall into a sort of dreamlike state. My favorite part is the last line: "Though it's been said many times, many ways, Merry Christmas to you . . . "



2. "All I Want For Christmas" by Mariah Carey
Whenever I hear the first few notes of this song I know Christmas is on the way. Not only does Mariah sing the heck out of it, she wrote it too. How cool is that? Just thinking about it now is making me want to sing it.



3. "Do You Hear What I Hear" by Destiny's Child
Out of all of the Christmas songs out there "Do You Hear What I Hear" is my favorite and I really liked the way Destiny's Child arranged it in their version. Usually, I'm not much on remixes of Christmas songs but with this one I made an exception.



4. "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" by the Jackson 5
Can I just say no one can sing a song like Michael? He could take the most simplest lyric and infuse with soul and he does just that with this holiday classic.



5. "Please Come Home For Christmas" by Charles Brown
Bells will be ringing . . . that's the first line of this song and the line that stole my heart. This song is great is because it's like a Christmas-Blues-y mash up. It's got soul and it puts you in the holiday mood. In fact, I think I'm going to sing it to myself now. . . Bells will be ringing.



6. "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" by Brenda Lee
You know it's Christmas time when you hear Brenda Lee holler out this song. It puts me in the holiday party mood and it's got one of the best saxophone solos I've ever heard. So kudos for that.



7. "It's Beginning to Look a Lot like Christmas" by Michael Buble
If this song is playing then you know it's Christmas time. There's no doubt about it. I know some people think Michael Buble is really lame, but I love him and I love his voice. For me, he sings this song beautifully.


8. "Mary, Did You Know" by Mark Lowry
Mary, Did You Know is probably one of the most beautiful Christmas songs ever written. The Bible says Mary pondered all these things in her heart and I've often wondered if she considered just how extraordinary Jesus was and still is. I love it and my favorite line is When you've kissed your little baby, you've kissed the face of God. So pretty!


9. "Little St. Nick" by the Beach Boys
This song has a quintessential 1960s sound which I love. Every time I hear it I can't help but picture Santa surfing in a flowery Hawaiian shirt and some shades. It's catchy and in my opinion a holiday classic.


 10. "Feliz Navidad" by Jose Feliciano
Every time I hear this song I think of my dad singing it around the house as we decorated the tree. It's kind of like a piece of my childhood and every time I sing it I feel bilingual for about a second.




11. "White Christmas"  by Bing Crosby
No one can do this song like Bing. It's another Christmas classic and while I like some of the other versions out there I really like this one. But since I live in Louisiana, having a white Christmas is kind of rare of me. But hey, stranger things have happened.



12. "Last Christmas" by Wham
Ok, for me this song is a strange 80s pop/Christmas hybrid thing. I mean, it's George Michael singing about how he gave his heart to someone last Christmas and then this Christmas the person doesn't even seem to remember him. Yes, it's kind of sad but the tune and chorus is so catchy that I couldn't help but include it as one of my favorites.



So now that you know my top 12 Christmas songs what's yours? Feel free to leave it in the comments.

Until next time . . .


XOXO,


Nellie

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

My Go-To Weekend Look

Hello everyone and welcome to today's post. For me the weekend is my time to run some errands I didn't get to in the week. It&#...

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig