Wednesday, January 10, 2018

5 Best Albums of 2017


In 2017 the music world was flooded with a bunch of new music. From Willie Nelson to Taylor Swift it seemed everyone was releasing a new album last year. But from all the albums that hit the shelves and iTunes there were 5 that really stood out to me.

These are (in my opinion) the 5 Best Albums of 2017



"Harry Styles" by Harry Styles Released May 12, 2017
2017 was definitely the year of the One Direction boys. I mean, Harry, Liam, and Niall released singles last year - Harry and Niall even released albums. And I must say I was very impressed with Harry's album.

I felt like he was trying to channel a little bit of the early Beatles' sound with a dash of the rhythmic sound of 70s rock. You can hear this really well in songs like "Kiwi" and "Only Angel." To me, this album would be perfect to listen to while you're relaxing on the beach or going on a long drive. The song "Woman" has a young Elton John feel to it. The songs have a mello beat to them and at times I felt like I was listening to a Neil Young CD instead of the album of a former One Direction member. All in all, this is not an album to be overlooked.

My Favorite Songs: "Sweet Creature" and "Ever Since New York"


"Divide" Ed Sheeran Released March 3, 2017 
The next album on my list was a BIG surprise me - primarily because I'm not a Ed Sheeran fan - but the more I listened to it the more I found myself appreciating the phenomenon that is Ed Sheeran. There's something undeniably sweet about a guy singing a simple love song. Never underestimate a man with a guitar.

But don't get me wrong. This album is so much more than lovey-dovey guitar songs. Songs like "Galway Girl" and "Eraser" are perfect if you're looking for something upbeat but I personally love slow, breakup songs. I don't know why but I do and if you're like me and tend to gravitate toward sad songs definitely check out "Happier."

I find that Ed Sheeran has an appreciation for every day love and he's talented enough to write songs don't just sound good but are made of real substance. Plus, he can actually rap pretty decently for a British guy. Long story short - this is an album worth buying and worth listening to.

My Favorite Songs: "Perfect" and "Hearts Don't Break Around Here"



"Tell Me You Love Me" Demi Lovato Released September 29, 2017
Demi Lovato has always had an incredible voice. Even when she was on the Disney Channel I was impressed whenever she opened her mouth. But on her latest album she took her singing range to a whole new level.

On this album Demi showcased not only her ability to do amazing vocal runs and hit high notes - she showcased that she's no longer that little girl on Barney and the Disney Channel. She's a woman with something to say. The songs on this album had a little more soul and gospel influence to them than her previous work. And I found that even her dance numbers had more substance than what she's released before.

I guess I found her more believable this time when I heard her singing about heartbreak and lost love. Plus she hit some notes that were out of this world on "You Don't Do It For My Anymore." You can definitely tell that she's grown up and her music has transitioned with her. To me, the songs on this album were more about her life and less bubble gum pop - from dating in today's cell phone society ("Games") to falling for the wrong guy ("Daddy Issues", "Cry Baby"). Well done, Demi.

My Favorite Songs: "Daddy Issues" and "You Don't Do It For Me Anymore"


"Flicker" Niall Horan Released October 20, 2017
As I said earlier 2017 was definitely the year of the One Direction boys. Like Harry, Niall proved last year that he's so much more than just a boy band member - he's a true musician with something to say. And trust me, he's worth listening to.

When I first heard this album all I could think was "Coffee Shop." Each song gives us a little sneak peak in what kind of guy Niall really is. And it sounds like to me he's a simple guy who's experienced heartbreak and moving on in his life. Songs like "Is It Too Much to Ask" confirm this as well as "Paper Hearts." But he gives us a more hopeful side of love in songs like "Seeing Blind" and "Since We're Alone."

There were times Niall reminded me a young John Mayer with his guitar style and simple way of saying something really deep (just give "Flicker" a listen). All in all, I really enjoyed this album and I think it's perfect for you if you're looking for something easy-listening.

My Favorite Songs: "Seeing Blind" and "Is It Too Much to Ask"


"The Thrill of It All" Sam Smith Released November 3, 2017 
Ok, fso or me the best album of 2017 was by far Sam Smith's "The Thrill of It All." Truthfully, I think I could be a bit biased because I'm a major Sam Smith fan (I mean, come on, he could sing names out of the phonebook and I'd love every minute of it) but I found this album to be not only stocked full with talent but heartfelt songs with sincere lyrics. There's an honesty to Sam's voice (just listen to "Pray") and an openness that I really admire. The soul influence shines through in songs like "Burning" and "Too Good at Goodbye.

With Sam's first album I felt like we got a glimpse into who he is and what he's trying to say but with this one I feel like he let us into his heart. No one can sing a breakup song quite like Sam, whether he's the one getting dumped or doing the dumping. Either way it's music magic and worth every minute of listening to. Hands down, an awesome album.

My Favorite Songs: "Too Good at Goodbye" and "One Last Song"

So now that you know my favorite albums of 2017 it's time to share yours. Let me know in the comments what your favorites were >>>>>

Until next time,

XOXO,

Nellie
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

My Go-To Weekend Look

Hello everyone and welcome to today's post. For me the weekend is my time to run some errands I didn't get to in the week. It&#...

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig